Making Change 4 Drowning Prevention is a 501(c) 3 dedicated to water safety and drowning prevention in Volusia County Florida.
Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death for children ages 1 to 4 years. Volusia County has a higher per capita drowning rate than Broward County!
- Drowning can occur in less than 2 inches of water and under 30 seconds.
- Drowning does not discriminate. It can happen to the wealthy, the poor, experienced and non-experienced swimmers, and ethnicity.
- Drowning can occur in a bath tub, bucket, toilet, washing machine, kiddie pool, above ground pool, in ground pool, creek, river, stream, ocean, retention pond or fountain.
Drowning is preventable!
- Assign an adult to watch the child that can swim to always watch the children.
- Do not talk on or use your phone while the children are in the water.
- Do not leave children unattended in ANY water, even for a minute, to walk away.
- Make sure all barriers are secured at all times.
- Keep children in arms reach.
- Keep a phone pool side for emergency use only.
- Learn CPR.
We have launched two additional foundations to assist in educating our community on the importance of drowning prevention and water safety education:
Click the link below for scholarship information.
Scholarship lessons are provided by Swim With Becky And Friends, LLC. : http://swimwithbecky.com