Making Change 4 Drowning Prevention is a 501(c) 3 dedicated to water safety and drowning prevention in Volusia County Florida.
Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death for children ages 1 to 4 years. Florida lost 98 children under the age of 4 years old to drowning in 2021.
- Drowning can occur in less than 2 inches of water and under 30 seconds.
- Drowning does not discriminate. It can happen to the wealthy, the poor, experienced and non-experienced swimmers, and ethnicity.
- Drowning can occur in a bath tub, bucket, toilet, washing machine, kiddie pool, above ground pool, in ground pool, creek, river, stream, ocean, retention pond or fountain.
Drowning is preventable!
- Assign an adult to watch the child that can swim to always watch the children.
- Do not talk on or use your phone while the children are in the water.
- Do not leave children unattended in ANY water, even for a minute, to walk away.
- Make sure all barriers are secured at all times.
- Keep children in arms reach.
- Keep a phone pool side for emergency use only.
- Learn CPR.
- Flotation devices provide a false sense of security for the parent. If you must use anything is should be a Coast Guard Approved age and weight appropriate Life Jacket. Your children become dependent on puddle jumpers and arm bands as much as you do!
We have launched two additional foundations to assist in educating our community on the importance of drowning prevention and water safety education:
Click the link below for scholarship information.
Scholarship lessons are provided by Swim With Becky And Friends, LLC. : http://swimwithbecky.com